logo logo

International Students Inbound to Canada


What are the requirements to study in Canada?International-Students-Inbound-to-Canada

Student Visa/Immigration Canada

Due to the time required to process a student visa application, international students are encouraged to apply to the university or college they plan to study in as early as possible and well before their stated application deadline.

Canadian Immigration authorities will only grant a student visa to an international student if he or she has been accepted by a university or college into a specific program. For further information please visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/), the regional Canadian Consulate in your home country or by writing to the Canadian Bureau of International Education, #408-151 Slater Street, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1P 5H3.

Acceptance Letter

A letter of acceptance will not be sent by a college or university until the applicant has provided evidence of sufficient funds to support him or herself during the first full year of resident studies. In addition, all international students must be fully covered by medical insurance. Certification of medical insurance must be produced at registration by all USA students as well.


See the Canadian Immigration Website for more information.                                                                                          


International students have the freedom to work off-campus in practicum’s or internships that is a requirement of their academic program. Off campus employment is not available to international students in a theological degree program. Please consult the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for information and regulations governing off campus work for international students. 

Medical Insurance

All students are required to have medical insurance. Non-Canadian students living in Canada are required to purchase medical insurance to enroll and attend school. American students, living in the U.S. and commuting for classes, must have medical insurance that extends to their travels to and from Canada.

Health Insurance for International Students Studying in Canada

Canada has one of the best universal public health care systems in the world. The universal health care system is administered by each province under its own provincial health care plan and covers visits to doctors, medical specialists, hospital stays and medical procedures. The cost of medical care can be high. A standard visit to the emergency room at a hospital costs $700 plus charges for additional tests. If you and your family are not covered under a Provincial Healthcare Insurance Plan and do not have student medical insurance, you will be responsible to pay for medical expenses personally. Being a student already paying for tuition, books and living expenses is hard enough without having to pay for additional expenses due to unforeseen medical costs.

You can protect yourself and your family from unforeseen medical costs by purchasing medical insurance. As an international student in Canada you can also insure your family members who live with you under the same policy. Make sure that your insurance is comprehensive and has coverage of at least one million and offers a daily bed rate of at least $5,000 in Canadian dollars. 

If the province/territory where you are studying does provide provincial/territorial health care coverage you can still purchase additional insurance. The Provincial/Territorial Healthcare Insurance plans do not cover dental care, prescription eye glasses, non-prescription drugs and emergency medical travel. These non-covered medical expenses can add up, however you can purchase private insurance coverage from Stone-Hedge Financial Group Inc. Depending on the province/territory and the educational institution you are studying in, you may be able to opt out of their medical plan and purchase your own medical insurance that is more comprehensive. You will need to provide proof of coverage to your school, this will be sent to you by mail or email as soon as payment is processed by the insurance company you are purchasing your insurance coverage from.  

The requirements for international students differ for each province/territory. Health insurance must be arranged before arrival in Canada. Options include pre-registering in a Provincial/Territorial Healthcare Insurance Plan, compulsory enrolment in a university or college health plan, or by purchasing your own private health insurance plan.

Provincial/Territorial guidelines for the purchase of health insurance coverage for international students differ from province/territory to province/territory, for information please contact the ministry of health of the province/territory you will be studying in. 

Stone-Hedge Financial Group Inc. services the World for Health Insurance for International Students Studying in Canada.

We can provide Health Insurance for International Students to Canada from:

Afghanistan - Akrotiri - Albania - Algeria - American Samoa - Andorra - Angola - Anguilla - Antarctica - Antigua and Barbuda -  Argentina - Armenia - Aruba -  Ashmore and Cartier Islands - Australia - Austria - Azerbaijan -  Bahamas - Bahrain - Bangladesh - Barbados - Bassas da India - Belarus - Belgium - Belize Benin - Bermuda - Bhutan Bolivia - Bosnia and Herzegovina - Botswana - Bouvet Island - Brazil - British Indian Ocean Territory  - British Virgin Islands - Brunei - Bulgaria - Burkina Faso - Burma - Burundi - Cambodia Cameroon - Canada - Cape Verde - Cayman Islands - Central African Republic - Chad - Chile - China - Christmas Island - Clipperton Island - Cocos (Keeling) Islands - Colombia - Comoros -  Democratic Republic of the Congo - Republic of the Congo - Cook Islands - Coral Sea Islands -  Costa Rica  Cote d'Ivoire - Croatia - Cuba - Cyprus - Czech Republic - Denmark - Dhekelia - Djibouti - Dominica - Dominican Republic - Ecuador - Egypt - El Salvador - Equatorial Guinea - Eritrea - Estonia - Ethiopia - Europa Island  Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas) - Faroe Islands - Fiji - Finland - France - French Guiana - French Polynesia - French Southern and Antarctic Lands - Gabon - Gambia, The - Gaza Strip - Georgia - Germany - Ghana - Gibraltar - Glorioso Islands - Greece - Greenland - Grenada - Guadeloupe - Guam - Guatemala - Guernsey - Guinea - Guinea Bissau - Guyana - Haiti - Heard Island and McDonald Islands - Holy See (Vatican City) - Honduras - Hong Kong -Hungary - Iceland - India - Indonesia - Iran - Iraq - Ireland - Isle of Man - Israel - Italy - Jamaica - Jan Mayen - Japan - Jersey - Jordan - Juan de Nova Island - Kazakhstan - Kenya - Kiribati - North Korea - South Korea - Kuwait  Kyrgyzstan - Laos - Latvia - Lebanon - Lesotho - Liberia - Libya - Liechtenstein - Lithuania - Luxembourg - Macau  Macedonia - Madagascar - Malawi - Malaysia - Maldives - Mali -Malta - Marshall Islands - Martinique - Mauritania  Mauritius - Mayotte - Mexico - Micronesia, Federated States of - Moldova - Monaco - Mongolia - Montserrat - Morocco  Mozambique - Namibia - Nauru - Navassa Island - Nepal - Netherlands - Netherlands Antilles - New Caledonia - New Zealand - Nicaragua - Niger - Nigeria - Niue - Norfolk Island - Northern Mariana Islands - Norway - Oman  Pakistan - Palau - Panama - Papua New Guinea - Paracel Islands - Paraguay - Peru - Philippines - Pitcairn Islands  Poland - Portugal - Puerto Rico - Qatar - Reunion - Romania - Russia - Rwanda - Saint Helena - Saint Kitts and Nevis - Saint Lucia - Saint Pierre and Miquelon - Saint Vincent and the Grenadines - Samoa - San Marino - Sao Tome and Principe - Saudi Arabia - Senegal - Serbia and Montenegro - Seychelles - Sierra Leone - Singapore  Slovakia - Slovenia - Solomon Islands - Somalia - South Africa - South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands  Spain - Spratly Island - Sri Lanka - Sudan - Suriname - Svalbard - Swaziland - Sweden - Switzerland - Syria - Taiwan - Tajikistan - Tanzania - Thailand - Timor-Leste - Togo - Tokelau - Tonga - Trinidad and Tobago - Tromelin Island - Tunisia - Turkey - Turkmenistan - Turks and Caicos Islands - Tuvalu - Uganda - Ukraine - United Arab Emirates - United Kingdom - United States - Uruguay - Uzbekistan - Vanuatu - Venezuela - Vietnam - Virgin Islands - Wake Island - Wallis and Futuna - West Bank - Western Sahara - Yemen - Zambia - Zimbabwe

Stone-Hedge Financial Group Inc. sells medical insurance for international students studying in all Canadian Provinces and Territories including: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Northwest Territory, Nunavut, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan and Yukon Territory. 

Emergency Medical 24/7 contact numbers are staffed by people that can speak any language, you are never alone regardless of your country you are traveling from and what language you are able to communicate in.

We offer travel insurance from Canada's leading insurance companies that specialize in travel insurance. Why take a chance dealing with an unlicensed insurance professional.


The information provided on this web site is intended for general information only. It should not be construed as legal, accounting, tax or specific insurance and investment advice. Clients should consult a professional advisor concerning their situations and any specific insurance and investment matters. While reasonable steps have been taken to ensure that this information was accurate as of the date hereof, Stone-Hedge Financial Group Inc. and its affiliates make no representation or warranty as to the accuracy of this information and assume no responsibility for reliance upon it.

Please provide your contact information an Insurance Broker will contact you.


Copyright © 2024 Stone-Hedge Financial Group Inc. All rights reserved.
All material on this website (unless otherwise noted) is the property of Stone-Hedge Financial Group Inc. and/or subsidiaries
and is protected by Canadian and International copyright laws.